Casework Assistance

Thank you for visiting the casework assistance portion of my website. "Casework" can be defined as the assistance provided at the request of, and/or on behalf of, South Dakotans in their dealings with federal agencies. Typically, casework involves individuals, groups with a common concern, or small businesses, and can include a problem, grievance, question of eligibility, need, or other tangible interest or benefit to these groups.

To receive assistance from our office, you must first submit a Privacy Release Form including a detailed explanation of your situation along with any other information or documentation relevant to your case. Once the form is received, a caseworker will be assigned to your case and will keep you informed of the process.

Government Institutions and Agencies with which we can assist:

I am honored as a United States Senator to have the opportunity to assist South Dakotans in their dealings with federal agencies. Federal agencies are located in the executive branch of the government and include, for example:

I have professional staff in my three state offices who are trained to work with constituent casework. These professionals work every day to assist South Dakotans when they encounter problems with federal agencies or federally funded programs. My staff and I are ready to assist you with these agencies.

Where we cannot interfere:

Due to the Constitution’s separation of powers, I cannot assist in judicial or court matters, such as child custody/support, divorce, criminal trials, lawsuits or imprisonment. Problems involving South Dakota state agencies – such as welfare or state taxes – also are outside my jurisdiction as a United States Senator. To get started on such state questions, you may want to visit the South Dakota state government website at

Please Note:

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires written permission before a congressional office may make certain inquiries to a federal agency on your behalf.

We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request. Please download a copy of the appropriate Privacy Release Form above, complete the form, and return it to the nearest office: 

Aberdeen Office
205 6th Avenue SE, Suite 202
Aberdeen, SD 57401

Phone: (605) 225-8823
Fax: (605) 225-1068
Sioux Falls Office
5015 South Bur Oak Place
Sioux Falls, SD 57108

Phone: (605) 334-9596
Fax: (605) 334-2591
Rapid City Office
246 Founders Park Drive, Suite 102
Rapid City, SD 57701

Phone: (605) 348-7551
Fax: (605) 348-7208