The criminal justice system is one of the foundational pillars of our society. The law enforcement personnel who serve and protect our communities deserve all the tools they need to keep us safe. Providing disincentives for crime and opportunities for rehabilitation is the best way to curb our growing prison population.
Highlights of Sen. Thune’s Commitment to Law Enforcement:
- Grants for Local Law Enforcement:
- Sen. Thune supports federal grants that allow our law enforcement personnel to secure the training and equipment they need to protect our communities.
- Sen. Thune helped spearhead the creation of Operation Dakota Peacekeeper, an initiative that brought additional police resources to Standing Rock Sioux Tribe that reduced crime and targeted illegal drug activities.
- Sentencing Reform:
- Sentencing reform is needed to ensure our already crowded prisons do not become overcrowded, which would cost taxpayers even more money.
- Reforms should not reduce sentences for violent crimes.
- Terrorists are Enemy Combatants, Not Common Criminals:
- Sen. Thune firmly opposes transferring Guantanamo Bay detainees to the United States.
- Terrorists, like the Boston bombers, should be treated as enemy combatants and questioned by counterterrorism personnel, and should not be granted the rights and legal process available to common criminals.