As chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, Sen. Thune continues to be a leading advocate for federal transportation policy that benefits South Dakota businesses and families.
Highlights of Sen. Thune’s Commitment to Investing in Infrastructure:
- Sen. Thune has long played a leading role in the passage of surface transportation bills, including the most recent long-term bill, the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act, which was signed into law in 2015.
- The FAST Act increases federal investment for both highways and transit programs in South Dakota, supports South Dakota’s successful 24-7 sobriety program through federal grant programs, and provides regulatory relief to certain operators supporting the agriculture industry.
- Sen. Thune led a bipartisan effort that resulted in the passage of his bill, the Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 2016, in the Senate.
- Thune’s bill will provide federal funding through the Airport Improvement Program, which benefits South Dakota’s airports, create new consumer protections for the flying public, and make changes requested by the general aviation community by including changes to Third Class Medical.
- As the former director of the South Dakota railroad division and current chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, Sen. Thune has prioritized key reforms in this industry to benefit shippers and improve rail service throughout South Dakota.
- Thune authored a bipartisan Surface Transportation Board (STB) reauthorization and reform package that was signed into law and worked to address rail service delays in 2014 through oversight efforts that led to lasting reforms at the STB.
- Thune has helped secure Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery grants for multiple South Dakota rail projects.
- He also worked to improve rail safety, including for the transportation of crude oil and ethanol.