Highlights of Sen. Thune’s Commitment to Research, Innovation, and Technology:
Guiding the MOBILE Now Act Through the Senate:
- Sen. Thune‘s Making Opportunities for Broadband Investment and Limiting Excessive and Needless Obstacles to Wireless Act will help usher in the next era of mobile networks by facilitating the required investment and technology.
- In March 2016, Sen. Thune led a committee hearing on the safety and economic benefits that driverless cars could have for South Dakota residents and businesses. By addressing the need to provide a legal and regulatory framework for these cars, this technology can become a reality more quickly.
Digital Goods and Services Tax Fairness Act:
- In March 2015, Sen. Thune introduced the bipartisan Digital Goods and Services Tax Fairness Act of 2015, which would prohibit state and local jurisdictions from imposing multiple or discriminatory taxes on the sale or use of a digital good or service that is delivered or transferred electronically to a consumer.
Advocating for Standalone Broadband for Rural Consumers:
- Sen. Thune led more than 40 Senators in sending a letter to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) calling for the FCC to make a policy change that permits support for carriers that provide rural consumers with broadband-only services. Unless addressed, the FCC policy will increasingly lead to an unintended outcome of required bundling of Internet and phone services.
Supporting Underground Science Research:
- By supporting the underground research lab in Lead, South Dakota, this facility will continue to attract world-class researchers and scientists working to continue to unlock scientific secrets.