Sen. Thune has supported numerous provisions in Congress, including legislation that funds programs to help provide access to housing for South Dakota families.
Highlights of Sen. Thune’s Commitment to Affordable Housing:
- Strong Leadership in the Senate, Leverages Key Role on the Senate Agriculture Committee Subcommittee on Rural Development & Energy:
- This subcommittee conducts oversight of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA’s) Rural Development programs, including its housing programs, which support access to housing in South Dakota through grants and loans.
- In the 2014 farm bill, Sen. Thune supported a provision that modified the definition of the rural area for housing programs to raise the population cap, which allowed Aberdeen’s eligibility for federal housing programs to continue.
- Supports Legislation to Provide Funding for Critical Federal Housing Programs:
- Federal housing programs administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, which receive annual appropriations in Congress, make access to affordable housing a reality in communities across the state.
- Sen. Thune is supportive of housing programs that enable organizations to leverage private funding to address housing needs.
- Supports Legislation to Provide Regulatory Relief to Small Public Housing Agencies:
- Public housing agencies are responsible for administering certain federal housing programs.
- The Small Public Housing Agency Opportunity Act, of which Sen. Thune is a cosponsor, will help address an ever-increasing regulatory burden faced by these agencies that will enable them to spend more time serving their communities.
“Housing drives economic development in a community to help attract both families and businesses to put down roots and grow.” – Sen. John Thune