It is only by streamlining legal immigration, securing our borders, and providing disincentives for illegal immigrants that our broken immigration system can be fixed.
Highlights of Sen. Thune’s Commitment to Protecting Our Borders:
- Border Security:
- Sen. Thune introduced an amendment requiring the completion of 750 miles of border fence.
- Sen. Thune supports the implementation of a biometric entry-exit system at our airports and other ports of entry.
- No Amnesty:
- In 2007 and 2013, Sen. Thune opposed bills that would have granted amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants before securing our southern border.
- Supported Kate’s Law:
- Sen. Thune endorsed the passage of Kate’s law, which sought to eliminate sanctuary cities that prevent law enforcement officers from enforcing existing immigration laws.
- Preserve Legal, Seasonal Work Visas:
- South Dakota’s agricultural and construction industry, as well as the tourist industry around Mt. Rushmore, needs seasonal employees to supplement the domestic workforce.
- These industries contribute greatly to the local economy.
- Sen. Thune has repeatedly pressed the Departments of Labor and Homeland Security to streamline the process for granting seasonal work visas.
- Increased Security for Refugee Processing:
- Sen. Thune supported a bill that would require the Department of Homeland Security, the FBI, and the director of national intelligence to certify that Syrian and Iraqi refugees do not pose a security risk before they can be admitted to the United States.
- Sen. Thune filed an amendment that would have given governors more authority over refugee placement in their states.