As the chairman of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation and a member of the tax-writing Senate Finance Committee, Sen. Thune continues to work to ensure South Dakota’s businesses are competing in an environment that encourages growth.
Highlights of Sen. Thune’s Commitment to Economic Growth:
- Introduced Legislation to Spur Start-Ups:
- The HALOS Act would remove burdensome restrictions, which would make it easier for start-ups to get the investments they need to grow their business and create jobs.
- Supporting a Strong Agriculture Economy:
- By supporting a strong renewable fuel standard, Sen. Thune is fighting to ensure biofuel volume requirements support U.S. jobs and the economy, reduce certain environmental impacts, and decrease dependence on foreign oil.
- Creating Long-Term Certainty for Federal Highway Programs:
- Sen. Thune championed numerous provisions that led to increased highway investment levels in South Dakota that will help provide jobs and pave the way to safer roads for businesses that rely on safe and effective transportation.
- Pushing Back on Regulatory Burdens that Harm Businesses and Increase Compliance Costs:
- Sen. Thune has actively opposed burdensome Obamacare regulations as well as others issued by the EPA, U.S. Department of Labor, and other Obama administration agencies that will make it more expensive to operate a business.